Chromecast lets you mirror your Oculus Quest 2 to your TV screen hassle-free. But if you want to cast Oculus Quest 2 to TV without Chromecast, there are still some handy options.
Here are the best ways to do this:
- Casting your VR headset using Apple AirPlay (on supported TVs)
- Casting directly from headset to TV.
- Casting using Android Screen mirroring.
- Casting using a dongle like Roku or Amazon Firestick.
In the below sections, we will learn how to cast Oculus Quest 2 to TV without Chromecast using each method in detail. You can choose whichever casting method is suitable for your specific TV.
Casting Oculus Quest 2 to TV Without Chromecast
There are different ways to cast the Oculus Quest 2 to TV without using Chromecast.
Depending on your specific TV brand and model, you can use the following methods to cast the content from OQ2 to your TV screen.
1. Casting Oculus Quest 2 using Apple Airplay
The First method is for Apple devices or TVs with built-in Apple Airplay support.
This method utilizes the screen mirroring technique for sharing content from the iPhone or iPad to Apple TV.
For this purpose, you can use the AirPlay feature of iOS. It is a built-in feature in iOS devices that permits you to share the content from the device to the TV.
To use AirPlay from your iPhone, follow the below-mentioned steps.
- The method consists of two parts:
- The first part is connecting iPhone with the Apple TV.
- The second part is connecting iPhone with the Oculus Quest 2.
- For the first part, connect the iPhone and the Apple TV to the same WiFi network.
- Pull down or swipe up on your iPhone to bring to the control center menu.
- From the menu, click on the screen mirroring option.
- From the screen mirroring list, select your TV that supports AirPlay. Now the content from your iPhone will be shown on Apple TV.
- For the second part, connect the Oculus Quest 2 to the same WiFi network as your iPhone and Apple TV.
- Download & install the Oculus mobile App on your iPhone.
- Now, on your OQ2, go to the home menu.
- From the home menu, select sharing and then select casting.
- Open the Oculus mobile app and accept casting.
- Now, you can cast the content from Oculus Quest 2 to your Apple TV through your iPhone.
2. Casting Oculus Quest 2 to Smart TVs
The Second method is for smart TV that supports casting. The method lets you cast the content directly from the headset to the TV.
To use this method, follow the below-mentioned steps.
- Turn on the smart TV and the Oculus Quest 2.
- Connect both devices to the same WiFi network.
- On your right-hand controller, press the Oculus button.
- A home menu appears under the Apps window. Click on the share button at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- A sharing window appears, from which click on Cast.
- A window ‘Cast from this Headset’ pops up, from which you can select your TV.
- Click Next, and your stream will now be ready.
3. Casting Oculus Quest 2 to Samsung TVs
The Third method is by pairing the Oculus Quest 2 with the TV. The method is generally used for Samsung TVs. This method is possible if Quest 2 is running on version 10.0.
The following steps will tell you how to do this.
- Turn on the TV and the Quest 2 device.
- Connect Quest 2 and the TV to the same WiFi connection.
- Enable the casting from your TV, so Quest 2 can detect the TV.
- Go to the utility section from your Oculus Quest 2 and select Cast To.
- A list of devices in the vicinity to which Oculus Quest 2 can cast pops up.
- Select the TV you want to cast and click on Next.
- A notification will pop up below the menu, notifying that the casting has started.
4. Casting Oculus Quest 2 to TV using Android Phone
Another method is by using an Android phone. This method utilizes the screen mirroring technique like we discussed for iPhone.
Follow the below-mentioned steps to cast Quest 2 using this method.
- Switch the Oculus Quest 2, smartphone, and TV to ON.
- Connect all three devices to the same WiFi network.
- You need to download the Oculus App on your phone. Download and Install the app.
- Open the app and connect the Oculus Quest 2 to the app.
- Once you connect the Oculus Quest 2 to the app, enable the casting feature from the app. This will allow the headset to cast the content from Oculus Quest 2 to your smartphone.
- The next step is to stream the content from the phone to the TV. For this, the default screen mirroring app on the smartphone is used.
- Open the screen mirroring app on your phone and mirror the content of Oculus Quest 2 from the phone to the TV.
- Now the content from the Oculus Quest 2 is visible on both your smartphone and the TV.
5. Casting Oculus Quest 2 to an Old TV
It is very convenient to cast Oculus Quest 2 to modern Smart TVs, but it may be possible that someone might have an old TV set.
If you have an old TV, it must have at least the following features to cast.
- A WiFi connection.
- HDMI ports for a dongle like Roku, Chromecast, or Amazon Fire Stick.
- The required quality of resolution for casting.
- Support for various apps for streaming and casting.
If your TV has the above features, you can get a cheap dongle like a Roku stick, Amazon Firestick, or even a standalone Chromecast dongle and connect it to your TV..
6. Casting Oculus Quest 2 to TV using Amazon Fire Stick
- Plug the Amazon Fire Stick into your TV.
- An initiation process will start; complete the initial setup steps.
- Now download and install the mirroring app on your fire stick. If you have an Android, you can use Allcast, and for iOS, you can use the built-in AirPlay.
- Now open the Oculus App on your phone and cast the Oculus Quest 2 on your phone.
- After the cast is complete, mirror the phone screen to the TV through the fire stick.
The process is the same if you use a Roku stick. All Roku sticks come with Apple Airplay, and you can follow the process explained in the start of the article to cast your headset using Airplay.
Things to be Kept in Mind
- While using the phone to cast the content on the TV, make sure your phone is not overheated. It might heat up as well as lose charge faster. This is because the phone is processing both receiving and sending the content. So, check the charge of the phone and the heat issues.
- If you do not have any screen mirroring app on your phone, you can use the MirrorOP app available on Google Play Store.
How to Cast Oculus Quest 2 to TV Without Chromecast – Conclusion
Chromecast is recommended for casting the content from Oculus Quest 2 to TV. This is because of its different features and ease of use.
Yet, if you don’t have the Chromecast, you can still connect the Oculus Quest 2 to the TV using the different methods in this article.
The first method is for Apple TV using an iPhone, while the other methods are for Android TVs.
The second method describes how you will connect to the Smart TV directly from the headset. The third method uses the pairing of the OQ2 to the Samsung TV.
The fourth method is using an Android phone to share content on TV. The Last method described in this article is about casting OQ2 to an old TV using Amazon Fire Stick.
Now you can enjoy the amazing world of Virtual Reality or play video games with your friends and family on a big screen.