I am an Instagram addict (booo me) and habitually check my Instagram feed every few minutes.
Visiting my Instagram feed has become more of a daily ritual for me when I wake up and go to sleep, and on days when my feed fails to refresh, I felt down.
Encountering the “Couldn’t refresh feed” error on Instagram isn’t pleasant for anyone, and the first question that pops into your head is, “Am I blocked?”
Fortunately, that’s usually not the case, as numerous reasons could stop your Instagram feed from refreshing.
Previously dealing with this error was more of a hassle for me, but recently I came across some potential causes of the Instagram feed not refreshing problem.
Through trial and error, I also cracked some solutions that helped me fix it, which is exactly what I am going to share with you in this write-up.
Why Does the “Couldn’t Refresh Instagram Feed” Error Appear?
Before diving into the solutions, let me first take you through some significant causes of the appearance of the “Couldn’t refresh Instagram feed” error on your app.
Here is a breakdown of 5 major reasons why you are unable to refresh your Instagram feed:
1. Instagram Cache is Full
One of the primary reasons your Instagram app could fail to refresh the feed is that you haven’t cleared your app cache for a long time.
For any app to function in its full swing, it’s crucial to get rid of the cache storage of the application from time to time, and if you forget to do it, you might struggle with its loading speed.
2. App is Down
Another possible reason for the appearance of the “Couldn’t refresh feed” error on your Instagram app is that the servers of the Instagram app might be down.
It’s normal for apps like Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, WhatsApp, etc., to encounter server issues because of geographical or company-related factors.
Whenever this happens, you might experience trouble loading the app, which might be hindering your experience on Instagram.
You can visit Downdetector or any other similar site to see if the servers for Instagram are down.
3. Older Version of the App
If you haven’t updated your Instagram app in so long, you might encounter the “Couldn’t refresh Instagram feed” error on your app’s screen.
It’s because whenever an app update is released, user activity on the older version is limited, which can lead to problems like the app failing to refresh properly.
4. You are Blocked
Yes, you guessed it right. One of the main reasons why your Instagram feed isn’t refreshing is because you are blocked on the app.
Instagram has a strict ethical policy and features a set of rules that needs to be followed by all the users on the app.
If you have recently joined the app but have commented on too many posts or viewed a lot of profiles on the application, the app might find your activity suspicious and can block you from the platform.
This will limit your application activity and eventually lead to the “Couldn’t refresh Instagram feed” error.
5. Third-party Apps
If you have been using some third-party apps on your device to manage Instagram likes, views and other such actions on the app, you can possibly encounter the “Couldn’t refresh Instagram feed” error.
It’s because Instagram doesn’t entertain such third-party applications.
Once it finds out about the presence of such apps on your device, it will automatically limit your usage of the Instagram app, eventually inhibiting the feed from refreshing.
Fixing the “Couldn’t Refresh Instagram Feed” Error
If this is your first time trying to resolve the “Couldn’t refresh Instagram feed” error and you have no idea how this whole process works, try the 6 step-by-step methods explained below to get out of this problem without much hassle.
Method #1: Repairing Your Internet Connection
This might seem a simple fix, but in most cases, poor internet connection is the primary reason why you fail to refresh your Instagram feed.
If you are using a Wi-Fi network, use these methods to restart the modem:
1. Locate the “Power” button on the Wi-Fi router.
2. Press the power button till you see all the lights on the modem going off.
3. Once the lights turn off, wait for 10 to 20 seconds.
4. Hold and press the “Power” button again and release it once you see the lights on the modem turning back on.
5. Wait for a while till the modem completely restarts.
6. Connect your mobile phone to the Wi-Fi connection, go to your Instagram app and check for the issue.
Note: If you use mobile data to run apps on your mobile phone, check for the expiry of your mobile data package and renew it, if required.
Method #2: Clearing App Cache
Clearing the cache files of your Instagram app is another thing that can help you fix the “Couldn’t refresh Instagram feed” error. Here is how this can be done:
1. Head to “Settings” on your iPhone.
2. Scroll down to find “General” and tap to select it.
3. Go to “iPhone Storage.”
4. Scroll down and select the “Instagram” app from your device’s list of applications.
5. Hit the “Offload App” option to clear the app cache.
Note: Before clearing your Instagram’s cache files, make sure to save Instagram drafts for reels, stories, and posts, as you might lose all the saved data.
Method #3: Restarting Your Device
Sometimes a glitch within your mobile device can also prevent the Instagram feed from refreshing. A simple device restart can fix this, and here is how this can be done:
1. Press and hold the “Power” button on your iPhone.
2. Release the button when the power off slider appears on the screen.
3. Swipe on the slider to turn off your device.
4. Wait for a few seconds before pressing the “Power” button again.
5. Let go of the button when you see the “Apple” logo on the screen.
6. Once your device turns on, go to Instagram and see if the problem is resolved.
Method #4: Disabling Data Saver Mode
The Instagram app features a Data Saver mode to limit data usage by the app.
If you have previously enabled this mode on your application, turning it off can help you resolve the “Couldn’t refresh Instagram feed” error.
Here is how you can turn off the Data Saver mode on your Instagram app:
Step #1: Go to Instagram Profile
On your Instagram app, tap the “Profile” icon at the bottom right corner of the screen. This will take you to your Instagram feed.
Step #2: Head to Settings
Tap the “Hamburger” icon at the top right corner of the screen.
From the pop-up menu, select the “Settings” option.
Step #3: Access the “Data usage” Tab
Once you reach your Instagram Settings page, scroll down to find “Account” and tap to select it.
Here find and choose the “Data usage” option.
Step #4: Disable Data Saver Mode
On the next screen, you will see two options with toggles next to them. Tap the toggle next to “Use less mobile data” to disable Data Saver mode on your Instagram app.
Method #5: Updating the Instagram App
If you have not updated your Instagram app for a long time, you might encounter several errors, and the inability to refresh your Instagram feed is one of them.
Follow these steps to update your Instagram app to the latest version:
1. Go to App Store on your iPhone.
2. Tap the “Search” icon at the bottom and type “Instagram” in the search bar at the top.
3. If you see “Update” next to the Instagram app, tap on it.
4. Wait for the update to complete.
5. Once your app is updated to the latest version, try refreshing the feed and see if it works this time.
Method #6: Removing Third-Party Apps
Removing the third-party apps installed on your device for automated Instagram likes, comments, and views is another thing that will help you fix the “Couldn’t refresh Instagram feed” error.
If you have been using such apps to boost your activity on your Instagram app, here are the steps you need to follow to remove it from your device.
1. Find the concerned third-party application on your device’s home screen.
2. Press and hold anywhere on your device’s Home Screen till you see the “-” sign appearing on the top-left corner of all the apps. You will also notice the apps jiggling on the screen.
3. Tap the “-” icon on top of the concerned third-party app.
4. Select “Delete App” on the pop-up appearing on the screen.
5. Hit “Delete” again to confirm and check for the issue.
Conclusion – Couldn’t Refresh Instagram Feed
In this guide, I have explored the “Couldn’t Refresh Instagram Feed” error with you.
I have taken you through a list of the possible causes of the error and provided you with a couple of solutions that can possibly help you fix this problem.
Hopefully, one of these methods will help you refresh your Instagram feed again, and you can get back on track with your usual routine of visiting your Instagram feed right after you wake up.