When you follow a new account on Instagram, you get a small window with new account suggestions based on the person you just followed. This is Instagram’s way to connect more people, but sometimes, it can be really annoying.
As Instagram has evolved, it has introduced a number of features to enhance the user experience, including Discover People, which provides profile suggestions based on your contacts and those you already follow.
However, for some users, this feature can be more of a nuisance than a helpful tool.
While there is no direct way to remove Discover People on Instagram app altogether, we have a few ways to remove the suggestion window temporarily.
In this article, we will provide a comprehensive guide on removing the Discover People feature on Android and iPhone devices, so you can enjoy a more streamlined and clutter-free Instagram experience.
Remove Discover People on Instagram
If this is your first time trying to get rid of the Discover People feature on your Instagram app, our 4 simple solutions will help you perform this task without much hassle.
The below suggestions wok both for iPhone and Android, but the layout of the app might be a little different on both operating systems.
Method #1: Hiding the Discover People Suggestions
Though you cannot completely remove the Discover People suggestions on your Instagram app, you can still hide them following these steps.
Discovery suggestions are often seen after you follow someone new. Instagram use your new connection to suggestion similar accounts to follow next.
This can be turned off temporarily. Let’s demonstrate this below.
1. Tap the “Search” icon at the bottom of your Instagram app.
2. Put the username of the person you plan to follow in the search bar (or open a random user account)
3. Once the user profile opens up before you, tap the “Follow” button to follow it. The “Suggested for you” tab will open below.
4. Tap the small icon next to the “Message” option to hide the Discover People suggestions on your app.
All the suggested profiles will now disappear from the screen. But note that this is temporary, and when you follow someone again, this will reappear.
Method #2: Removing Discover People Suggestions Individually
Using the steps below, you can also remove the discover people suggestions on your Instagram app.
- Head to the “Search” icon on your Instagram app.
- Search for the profile you wish to follow next.
- Hit “Follow” to follow the concerned user.
- You will now see a list of multiple users suggested to you by the Instagram app.
- Tap the “Small Cross” sign above each suggestion to remove it from the Discover People suggestions page.
Note: Once you remove a profile from the Discover People tab, it will no longer appear in the suggestions section.
Method #3: Removing from the “See All” list
Another method you can use to remove the Discover People suggestions on your Instagram app is through the “See All” option. Here is what you need to do for this:
1. On your Instagram app, search for the profile you wish to follow.
2. Tap the “Follow” option.
3. Once you have followed the desired profile, you will see the “Discover People” section on the screen.
4. Tap the “See All” option next to “Suggested for you.”
5. Scroll down on the list and use the “Small cross” icon next to the suggested users to remove them from the suggestions.
Method #4: Using the “Discover People” option
It is also possible to remove the Discover People suggestions on your Instagram app via the “Discover People” option on your profile directly.
To do this, follow these steps.
1. Tap your “Profile” icon at the bottom of your Instagram app.
2. Select the “three lines” icon at the top-right corner.
3. From the pop-up menu, choose the “Discover People” option.
4. All the Discover People suggestions will appear before you.
5. Tap the “Small cross” next to all the profiles you don’t want to see on your Instagram suggestions.
Preventing Your Instagram Profile from Appearing In the Suggestions
Now that you have gone through the methods you can use to get rid of Discover People on your Instagram app, it’s time to move to the method that you can use to prevent your profile from appearing in the Instagram suggestions of other users.
Following are the steps you need to go through for this.
1. On the Safari or Chrome browser on your mobile phone, head to instagram.com and sign in.
2. Select your “Profile Picture” at the bottom of the screen.
3. Choose the “Edit Profile” option.
5. Uncheck the box under the “Similar account suggestions on profiles” option.
6. Hit “Submit.”
Your profile will no longer appear in the Discover People suggestions of other Instagram users.
Note: If you like to look up other profiles on Instagram and wonder if people can see when you search them on Instagram, check out this detailed post.
Disabling Notifications For Discover People Suggestions
Not only the Discover People suggestions themselves but the notifications for these suggestions that you keep getting on your mobile device are quite frustrating.
Here is how you can disable the notifications for Discover People suggestions on your Instagram app:
1. On your Instagram app, tap your “Profile Picture” at the bottom.
2. Select the “Hamburger” icon on the upper-right corner of the screen.
3. Choose “Settings” from the pop-up menu.
4. Tap the “Notifications” option.
5. Hit the “Following and Followers” option.
6. Select the “Off” option under “Account Suggestions.”
You have successfully disabled notifications for Discover People suggestions on your Instagram app.
Now you won’t get notifications like X, who you might know, is on Instagram.
Conclusion – How to Remove Discover People On Instagram (iPhone & Android)
In this guide, we have explored multiple methods you can use to remove the Discover People suggestions on your Instagram app on both your Android and iPhone devices.
We have also taken you through a simple method you can use to prevent other Instagram users from seeing your profile in their Discover People section.
This guide has also explained a simple method before you to disable the Discover People notifications on your Instagram app, so you don’t get disturbed by unnecessary beeps.
Hopefully, one of these methods will work for you, and you won’t have to see unnecessary suggestions on your app. Happy Scrolling!